[C320-list] Using bow cleats for mooring

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Mon Dec 19 11:03:01 PST 2016

   Graeme: Here is a bit more information about what has worked for me. I
   use a Yale Maxi-Moor pendant, the 3/4" by 12' version, which has
   breaking strength of more than 9,000 kg. I think that is way more than
   I need. The product is described here:
   [1]http://www.yalecordage.com/maxi-moor.html. You will want a heavy
   galvanized shackle (5/8" if I recall, but best to check) to attack the
   pendant to the mooring chain. My mooring has one large shackle at the
   end of the chain, which keeps the chain from disappearing through the
   buoy to the bottom. Then I use a second shackle attached to the first
   one to secure the pendant. The second one comes off the buoy along with
   the pendant at the end of the season. Both are wired shut with Monel
   wire.

   Note that my mooring chain passes through the buoy and the pendant
   attaches on top. This is different from some systems I see where the
   pendant attaches below the buoy. I figure the fewer underwater
   connections the better!

   How I use the pendant: I pass the large spliced eye through the base of
   the port side cleat and then over the ends. This keeps the boat very
   secure even without using the little blue line you see in the picture.
   I use that line instead to attach a pickup buoy that just sits on the
   deck when the boat is on the mooring, but makes picking up the mooring
   as simple as nosing the boat up to the pickup buoy and having someone
   reach over the side to grab it and pull it on board. No messing around
   with boat hooks required. The one I like is this one:
   [2]https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/products/buoy-mast-mooring-6-ft--del
   uxe-orange-poly-coated-15953.html. This one has a coating over the
   fibreglass that protects it from the UV and also protects your hands
   from exposure to bare fiberglass, and is long enough that you don't
   have to reach down to grab it. Some people attach a tell-tale to the
   top to give better info about what the wind is doing as you approach
   the mooring.

   I have tried attaching a mooring line on the starboard side but it
   tends to hang up on the anchor when the boat swings. I've never had
   this issue on the port side, nor have I seen a need for a second
   pendant.
   Scott Thompson