[C320-list] Castle prop nut loose.

Graeme Clark cg at skyflyer.co.uk
Wed Feb 17 12:03:37 PST 2016

There is only one nut on mine!

I think you are worrying un-necessarily. When in forward gear the effect of the prop is that it pushes itself onto the shaft (it’s pushing the entire boat forwards too!). I think the shaft is tapered as is the inside of the prop so the effect is to ‘jam’ the two together.

There is a limit to how far you can turn a castellated nut and still get the holes in the shaft to align with a slot in the castellations so it may not always be possible to get the nut really tight.

Only in reverse gear is there a risk of the prop sliding back. However there is a key in the shaft and prop hub so even if it does slide back it will not rotate. There is no circumstance where the split pin through the nut is transmitting the torque and might shear -  that just wont happen!  The pin is just to stop the nit rotating loose!

All in my humble opinion of course!!

Graeme
#366 Jaskar, Falmouth, UK

On 17 Feb 2016, at 19:46, Joe Abbagnaro <jabbagna at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Marek
> In the photo you can see on the shaft a place for a second pin to go through indicating a second nut it has been a while since I have owned the 320 but I am pretty sure you should have 2 nuts. Let's see what others have to say
> Joe
>
> Sent From Mobile Device
>
>> On Feb 17, 2016, at 2:11 PM, Marek Fluder <marekf at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Joe,
>> I have only one castle nut.
>> Here is the photo:
>> https://goo.gl/photos/ayW5YSYhw17DUzUJ6
>>
>> Marek
>> #1028, Lake Ontario
>>
>>> On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 1:54 PM, Joe Abbagnaro <jabbagna at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes you need to tighten that nut should not have any slack not 100% Sure
>>> but thought it was a double nut on the prop
>>> Joe
>>>
>>> Sent From Mobile Device

>>> was
>>> solidly

I work irregular hours and often write emails late in the evening and at weekends; that doesn’t mean I expect you to do the same; reply when convenient!