[C320-list] Dodger Replacement

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Wed Feb 17 12:42:03 PST 2016

Hi Don,

I recommend O'Sullivan Films.  They're in Winchester VA and I believe they
manufacture their product locally.  I will not be using Strataglass on the
dodger I'm fabricating.  I'd suggest you don't either, but of course, you
make the decision.  :)

Especially since you are in a cooler climate, the O'Sea .040 (40 gauge) is
really good stuff and you can get 10+ years out of it (like Strataglass).
It's very clear and can still be rolled up.  If you're dodger design only
has a roll up center panel, you could ask for .060 or .080 (60 or 80 gauge)
for the side windows and those on either side of the center panel.  The
.060/.080 materials are much stiffer and start approaching the clarity of
window glass, Makrolon (polycarbonate) but you can't roll up this thickness.

Unlike Strataglass, O'Sea is sunscreen, bug spray and fuel resistant so it
doesn't get cloudy if people bump into it with bugspray or sunscreen on.
I'm sure nobody ever has sunscreen or bugspray on their hands on a boat,
right?

While it's also scratch resistant but they'll all scratch if you slide
things across dirty panels.  O'Sullivan also has a product called Regalite
that's often seen on marine and automotive applications but isn't advertised
as sunscreen/chemical resistant.

Be sure to have your dodger made using SolarFix thread or Tenara at a
minimum, but not polyester V-92 UV under any circumstances.  It's expensive
but very strong and guaranteed for the life of the dodger. Polyester will
degrade long before the windows or fabric.

Other suggestions:  Maybe request that they sew some a couple small D-Rings
on into the underside of the dodger in convenient locations so you can hang
little lanterns or other little things.

Good luck!
-Jeff Hare