[C320-list] Genoa Replacement

Amiraults Family amiraults at sympatico.ca
Tue Feb 23 13:25:30 PST 2016

David:

I do race (poorly, but there's always a beer at the end) and did buy a 135%
with foam luff. This is a Dacron radial cut sail yielding a beautiful shape.
The foot is a modified Yankee cut; not as high as I would want for maximum
view forward but not as low as my sail maker wanted to design it. It is a
compromise. The up side of this sail is as mentioned previously that it
actually furls into an acceptable shape when the wind is up.

Perhaps I am the only person suffering from the downside of a 135%, but I
have found than when racing hard up wind that I cannot sheet in as closely
as I would want for maximum efficiency because before the optimum point is
reached, the sail is resting on a spreader. So the shape is beautiful, and
the size is more often than not what I need for the conditions, but I can't
get out of it all that I would want because the boat gets in the way. This
is never a problem with the 150% as its fuller draft keeps the sail off the
spreader when fully sheeted in.

I bought the 135% as a sail to race but THE sail to cruise as the size is
easier to crank in for a spouse with limited upper body strength and no
desire to take the helm. This was also the reason for the higher than normal
foot. To do it over again I would probably go with a 120%, but still with
the radial cut, higher foot and foam luff.

My .02$

Brian Amirault

797 Waltzing Bear, too

---