[C320-list] Genoa Replacement

Guy Smith smitski2001 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 23 08:45:43 PST 2016

Hey David,
In the Chesapeake Bay, we usually need more sail, since we get winds primarily around 10 knots.However, there are days with 15-20 kts and above. Since we may travel for several days at a time up or down the bay, you never know if you'll need the full 150 deployed or not to get home. The original 150 Genny was still in good condition but did not reef well at all, getting more dangerous as shortened sail. It got quite baggy up high and was very susceptible to death flogging.
I replaced the original last season with a 148 Genoa that has a foam luff to keep the shape as it's furled, made by Chesapeake Sails. I specifically told Chuck (the sail maker) that I wanted something that roller reefed really well. It took a month of sailing in the bay before we had 20+ kts to see how it would perform reefed at 90%. I love it! The shape is very efficient and safe.
And on those 5-10 kts days, I love the full 148...
Consider a larger Genny with a foam luff.
Fair winds!~g
Guy Smithsv Pleiades C320 #452Worton Creek MD
"Raise your sail one foot and you get ten feet of wind."-Chinese Proverb