[C320-list] C320 Fuel Tank Replacement/Repair

Dave and Ev kabout at comcast.net
Fri Feb 26 17:54:18 PST 2016

My Catalina 320 is a 1999, with a 15 year old original fuel tank. I had
an issue with my fuel tank causing a nuisance leak which involved the
gasket on the sender unit on top of the fuel tank. When I found the
nuisance diesel in the bilge,  I discovered that one of the screws was
loose and caused a nuisance drip. Tightening the five screws on top of
the tank was the easy part. Cleaning the diesel from all the secret
passages in the bilge took the most time. As outlined by other
contributors, the cleanup is complicated as described in the article and
it involved me removing the aft water tank to get all of the diesel
cleaned up. Lots of simple green did the trick. I was concerned about
the tank, being 15 years old. I pumped the remaining fuel from the tank.
I then removed it from the boat through the hatch into the aft cabin. I
used kerosene to loosen up the black biomass inside  (most likely
microbial mat) and cleaned out the tank to the best of my ability
without cutting any access holes. Lots of shaking and several doses of
kerosene removed lots of the residue. The internal baffle makes it
challenging to access all the parts of the tank with one access port. I
did not want to add any additional potential weeping spots, so just
worked with the existing penetrations. While the tank was out, I scuff
sanded and coated the external surfaces of the tank with thiokol, which
is used to fix diesel weeps on tanks in the industry. While other owners
reported weeps in the welds, I decided to coat the entire tank just in
case. The work of taking it out was the same and it was done. In the
meantime, I purchased a small piece of 20 mil HDPE plastic pond liner
for about $35 from Amazon. HDPE is used as secondary containment for
diesel fuel storage. I installed the HDPE beneath the tank when I
reinstalled it so if any drips or leaks ever do happen again they cannot
pass through the bilge but would be fully contained in the HDPE plastic.
I considered replacing the tank, but it had no known leaks. This was all
preventive work and for around $120.00 I have a tank installation that I
hope will provide years of trouble free service. Jeff Hare has done an
excellent job in outlining the issues with the aging fuel tanks. Perhaps
at some point in the future I would consider the larger tank, but this
will do fine for now.
Dave Cushman
It Tips  #628