[C320-list] Any ActiveCaptain Locations / eBoatcards users out there?

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 4 10:08:40 PDT 2016

We have a group here on Middle River, Chesapeake Bay, North of Baltimore a
few miles (at least most members are,) with about 35 boats and 75 members,
and we have been experimenting with eBoatCards and Locations for over a year
now. The whole Active Captain app set is undergoing significant change (what
isn't,) to consolidate and improve the products. There is no question that
Active Captain POIs are very useful on the water having now been
incorporated into many popular charting apps. A number of chart plotter
manufacturers are incorporating these POIs into their products.
Mostly, our results with eBoatCards and Locations are positive. It's hard to
classify the cause of what problems we've noticed; but, perhaps most are
related to either users and/or internet connections on the water. Both are
web apps that require internet connection to function. I use a cell phone or
hotspot to access the internet from the boat to run Locations. Both 3G and
4G service is usable; but, 4G is mostly centered around metropolitan areas.
Even on the Chesapeake coverage can be spotty especially on the Eastern
Shore away from towns. This contributes to gaps in location reports. When a
connection is available, Locations app is useful.
Our members tend to be intermittent in their use of Locations. Probably
because it has to be run on a phone or other device with internet access.
Or, because of a lack of interest. After all, many boaters love boating
because it allows them to get off the grid and be invisible.
One need not be a boater to use eBoatCards and Locations apps. eBoatCards
has a "friend" classification for a member without a boat. My son is such a
member and is able to track my whereabouts on the water from his PC or phone
wherever he may be.
If you want more information, go to eboatcards.com, register and peruse the
Help pages.

Warren and Pattie Updike
1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay