[C320-list] Xantrex TRUEcharge2 40-amp chargers - experiences?

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Sun Jul 17 20:02:32 PDT 2016

   I had a Victron BMV 702 installed last year, along with a Victron MPPT
   solar charge regulator and a Ganz 40 watt solar panel tied to the top
   of the Bimini. The battery monitor measures all current going into or
   out of the house bank, and also reports the voltage (but not the state
   of charge) on the separate starting battery. I also installed a new
   Blue Seas dual circuit battery switch that connects the starting
   battery to the engine and the house bank to the DC panel and other
   loads when "on," with an option to combine both banks. The house bank
   is charged directly by the solar panel or shore power charger, and the
   starting battery by the alternator. But any source can charge either
   bank as needed since the banks are also connected via a Victron Cyrix
   intelligent battery combiner. The batteries stay fully charged when I'm
   off the boat, even though I'm on a mooring. However 40 watts of peak
   solar charging is not enough for living on board with the refrigerator
   running, so I may upgrade that in the future. I'm also thinking of
   adding a separate Victron monitor for the MPPT solar controller.
   The installation seemed straightforward, although I did not do it
   myself. The one problem I encountered was that the yard installed the
   shunt backwards so that the Victron was recording discharges when the
   batteries were charging and vice versa. Fortunately that was fairly
   easy to correct by disconnecting everything from the shunt and turning
   it end for end.