[C320-list] Fwd: Impeller housing leak.

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Fri Jul 22 05:11:18 PDT 2016

Hi Greg,

Thanks, that's what we found as well about 7 or 8 years ago. We had 2
problems, dripping and some difficulty re-priming after a strainer change.

The new seals were fairly easy to reinstall as I recall and solved the
leaking problem but not the priming.  That turned out to be wear on the back
plate and also on the opposite face of the pump body.  So, if you find that
you ever start having priming problems and the impeller is in good shape,
just consider a new pump.

We did this and it pump water *so* much more forceful than the old pump and
instantly primes every time.  Was a great maintenance investment since I
believe it will be able to keep the engine cooler longer as the filter
becomes more restricted.  People who sail in water that has a lot of fine
sand or silt (or run aground in sand and stir up a lot of sediment trying to
back out) may be more likely experience early seal and pump body wear
failures.

-Jeff Hare