[C320-list] Vibration under power issue

Rick rsulewski at bex.net
Thu Jul 28 09:53:33 PDT 2016

Michael,
You have  replaced several items common to a shaft replacement and a timely
maintenance schedule. Just wondering if you are using the OEM fixed prop and
did you have that prop trued and balanced?  I trust that the yard had the
shaft couplers matched/machined with the proper fit. Also, did you replace
the shaft log ( to hull tube) hose given the age of your hull at the time
you had the shaft replaced?

The reasons I ask about the prop is because given that the vibration is
taking place approaching a cruising speed and after the yard checked the
alignment,  an unbalanced prop condition may be the likely source of your
vibration if the alignment was performed correctly and providing that the
shaft is true and the couplers were properly installed. If you have a
folding prop, then that also could be the source of a vibration.

 We had the unfortunate occasion of catching a line in the prop and that
resulted in a noticeable vibration due to bending the OEM brass shaft and
also deflecting the fixed prop blades. The shaft was replaced with stainless
and I was charged for having the prop trued and balanced. I still had a
vibration after the shaft replacement and I checked/improved the shaft
alignment with only a small improvement.  I pulled the OEM fixed prop and
had the prop trued and balanced a second time (this time for real),  and
then the vibration issue was resolved. While the prop was worked up to look
like new when it was installed by the yard, the prop was lacking a proper
balance/trued condition. I took the prop to an old timer who used his old
school methods and that did the trick!

I bring up the shaft log hose issue only because after I switched to a Buck
Algonquin hose that is more robust (stiffer) did I visually observe even
less shaft vibration while the engine was idling.

Hope this reply is helpful

Rick
My-Ria
95 320 hull # 277.