[C320-list] Pedestal shift cable replacement

Doug Treff doug at treff.us
Sun Jul 31 05:45:15 PDT 2016

Marko,

If you're going to replace the shift cable, it is recommended that you
replace the throttle cable as well. After you complete the job, you
understand why. When I bought my boat, the surveyor recommended that I
replace the throttle cable because it was melted from the heat of the
exhaust manifold. I did so. About 6 months later, the shift cable broke
and I was doing that difficult job again. Replace them both at the same
time and have peace of mind! It will only cost you the extra $50 US for
the other cable and it won't add much time to the job.

Here's a great blog piece on how to do the job. Different make of boat
bit it's still an Edson Pedestal and the process is the same:
http://spartina.blogspot.com/2009/05/replacing-throttle-and-shift-cables.html

Also, you can get the cables from CatalinaDirect here:
http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/category/737/controls--cables.cfm

It's a difficult job and you will need a helper but you can save a ton
of money if you're willing to do your own work! I replaced mine over a
period of two evenings and it works great now.

--
Doug Treff
September Song #350
doug at treff.us