[C320-list] Tip of the day

Graeme Clark cg at skyflyer.co.uk
Fri Jun 10 05:56:10 PDT 2016

Chris

I would recommend a really close look where it has been straightened in case of any buckling and possible splitting of the tube - at the end of the day that stanchion supports your lifelines and you don't want it suddenly failing at an inopportune moment, when a load gets placed on it. In particular keep an eye on it in future as if there are any microscopic cracks that you cant see they will attract moisture and even stainless will start to corrode in such circumstances so you will get a tell-tale rusting where any split might be.

Hopefully all is fine though and no damage done.

Graeme
#366, ‘Jaskar’, UK

On 10 Jun 2016, at 13:50, Chris Burti <clburti at gmail.com> wrote:

> I woke up yesterday morning and noticed the midship port stanchion bent back at a twenty five degree angle. Not sure when it happened, but we were not aboard. I pulled out an old mainsheet tackle from a twenty seven footer that I keep aboard to use as a preventer and connected the snap shackles loops of ¼” line tied to the top of the bent stanchion and the base of the forward stanchion. I was able to straighten it with remarkable ease.
>
> I'll have to rebed the stanchion, but that sure beats replacing it.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris Burti
> aboard Commitment
> ICW NC heading North

I work irregular hours and often write emails late in the evening and at weekends; that doesn’t mean I expect you to do the same; reply when convenient!