[C320-list] Tip of the day

Ken Geiger kendgb at aol.com
Fri Jun 10 08:35:12 PDT 2016

Hello.

Our C320 in hauled and covered each year for the Ontario winter.  2 seasons ago she suffered a snow dump off the adjacent boat and the cover structure failed and caused the severe bending inward of the starboard side forward gate stanchion; The one with the 2 verticals going to the deck.  As well the stanchion forward of that was also bent in somewhat.

The gate stanchion was relatively easy to remove from the aft cabin and it straightened up surprisingly easy and well in a small press after I had made some pressing shoes in the diameter of the tube OD.

For the other stanchion I made a two piece shoe half of which was welded to a 1/2 inch flat bar and that could be clamped around the base of the stanchion.  The flat bar, with a pad, was laid on the deck where I could stand on it and clamped to the base of the stanchion.  In that way the the base was held firm and counter acted by my weight standing on it as I pushed to straighten up the stanchion.  I may have used a pipe over the stanchion for leverage.  The bedding seemed unaffected.

Putting the gate stanchion back with a helper, took hours of cursing and swearing and devising special tools and the use of tape and glues; as holding 2 washers and turning a nut just to get it started was beyond the capability of my brain controlled hand in that awkward, confined and blind space .

I think that some stanchions have much more difficult access than mine did or will require removal of cabinetry.

I have built a stronger cover support structure.

FWIW

Ken