[C320-list] Air in Water Heater?

Daryl Hunt drhunt at rochester.rr.com
Fri Jun 10 10:20:25 PDT 2016

This may not be the problem if you're only having the issue with the hot
water.  I had a similar experience shortly after Spring commissioning
Believe this year.  In my case, the system worked fine for a full cycle
over three weeks emptying both tanks. Then after re-filling both tanks,
I would get a steady flow initially, then reduced to a trickle.  After
the shutting off and waiting for the accumulator to recharge, I got the
same result.   I initially thought running it dry caused air in the
system.  However, we've done that before without issue.   After looking
in the aft cabin for leaks, I noticed a small screen filter in a clear
casing just upstream of the pump.  On removal I found that the screen
was completely covered with a layer of black "gunk."   Easily cleaned
and replaced.  Problem solved.

best regards,
Daryl Hunt
C320 #660/Beleive /
Lake Ontario, Pultneyville NY

On 6/09/16 3:20 PM, Timothy Osburn wrote:
> My water pump won't shut off after I close the taps.  I've checked all the
> outlets in the head, cockpit shower and galley sink and as far as I can
> tell, they are closed.  When I turn the water on in the galley sink, it
> will sputter and then I get a steady flow of water (although it might
> sputter again from time to time ) .  Looking at the ShurFlo documentation,
> it sounds like there might be air in the water heater that is causing this
> ( it could also be a leak somewhere ).  Is there a way to vent air in the
> heater?  Should I just try and continue to run water through the system
> until the air in the water heater is displaced?  Any tips would be
> appreciated.  Thanks.

---