[C320-list] Perkins M30 Starter: follow-up

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 27 09:06:34 PDT 2016

This is a follow-up to my post of 5/29 re. Perkins M30 Starter.

I have to admit to another bone-headed oversight, my second this year.

It turns out, after removing the starter and having it serviced and
reinstalling it, the real problem was. a dead starting battery. Why did I
not know this at the start? Because, I violated one of the most fundamental
rules in testing a battery: only test battery voltage when the battery is at
rest, meaning no charge or load for at least several hours, preferably 24.
Of course, the fact that the battery was 9 years old didn't enter my addled
mind. So, each time I started the engine in our slip (connected to shore
power, of course,) it started right up. After a few hours sailing, nada.

I'll make this short. There are two bolts holding the starter. I had to have
a mechanic cut the head off one bolt as it wouldn't budge and became galled.
Then, to actually remove it, a coolant hose had to be pulled as well as the
alternator. Space is tight, but got it done.

As a bonus, I got all the connections in the starting circuit cleaned-up,
and some needed cleaning.

I really don't regret pulling the starter as it is 22 years old. At least I
won't be losing sleep over that part for a while.

Total cost, about $150 service and parts, plus $100 for new battery. Cheap
as boat projects go.

Thanks for listening.

Warren and Pattie Updike

1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62