[C320-list] Shifter

Doug Treff doug at treff.us
Wed Mar 2 08:06:25 PST 2016

Diane,

Start with this:

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/1547_737/engine-control-cable-12c-270c-28-c-310-c-320-c-42.cfm

Pretty sure I used a 12 footer on my C320 shift cable. I have a Yanmar
engine. Would be best to confer with Catalina Direct - they are VERY
willing to help research. Phone numbers are on their web site. Again,
the existing cable should be marked. Look at your existing cable - it
should be stamped with a part number every few feet. Look up that number
online and cross-reference it to the right length. In my case, the part
number was discontinued but my local marine diesel parts guy was able to
cross-reference to a new one of the same length.

Good luck - and feel free to reach out to me since I did the job myself.

---
Doug Treff
Catalina 320 - 1996 - September Song - #350
http://savvysailor.blogspot.com/
doug at treff.us

On 2016-03-02 10:53, DianeFlr at aol.com wrote:

> Does anyone know the part #? I would like to order a new cable .... get
> it from Catalina?
>
> OR WHERE? thanks again,
>
> S/V Windy City #948
>
> Captain Diane Fowler,
> CRS, GRI, e-PRO
> Gulf Coast Realty Network
>
> Cell: 239-850-4935
>
> www.CapeCoralhomes.com [1]
>
> In a message dated 3/2/2016 9:45:37 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> doug at treff.us writes:
>
> Rick,
>
> My cable snapped right at the end where the swaged end meets the cable
> in the binnacle. When I looked at things in the engine room I could not
> see any problems. It was only when I disassembled the binnacle that I
> found the issue. Did not do a root cause analysis. The shifter handle
> operates smoothly and did not seem to need new bushings or anything. It
> was my opinion that it was just old age that caused the break. In the
> two seasons since the cable was replaced, I have experienced no issues.
>
> I have since made it a habit of doing the annual maintenance recommended
> by Edson which includes greasing the linkage and I have seen no evidence
> of corrosion during those inspections.
>
> My boat lives on the upper Chesapeake Bay, which is brackish, and not
> very salty compared to the ocean. We're somewhere between fresh and
> salty.
>
> ---
> Doug Treff
> Catalina 320 - 1996 - September Song - #350
> http://savvysailor.blogspot.com/ [2]
> doug at treff.us
>
> On 2016-03-01 19:53, Rick wrote:
>
>> Doug, Could you please explain exactly where the shift cable broke or snapped
>
> and
>
>> what you believe was the root cause? Thanks.

Links:
------
[1] http://www.CapeCoralhomes.com
[2] http://savvysailor.blogspot.com/