[C320-list] An Interesting perspective on Life Jackets

sail-ability sail-ability sail-ability at sympatico.ca
Thu May 12 17:00:54 PDT 2016

   I too enjoyed the article on life jackets/PFDs. As with all things
   there is always a compromise. The self inflators and the Life jackets
   are designed to float an unconscious victim face up so that she can
   breathe. The PFDs are not designed to do this and the victim must be
   conscious in order to survive. I have two Mustang inflatables one with
   the dissolving pellet which when submersed allows the device to
   inflate, and it happens pretty fast as I've used it a few times. The
   problem with them is that they will inflate in a downpour! But I've
   never had this happen.The second one is a HIT self inflator which needs
   to be submersed deeper than 4" in order to activate the self inflator.
   This device will not inflate simply by getting wet. I've never tried it
   as the replacement parts are around $70 USD!! We had a drowning here on
   Lake Ontario a few years back; the skipper was knocked overboard by an
   unruly boom and he was not wearing a life preserver of any sort. Bottom
   line is no matter what the life preserver is,,,wear it!!!! always.

   JohnM

   1999#574