[C320-list] Mainsail sticking

Graeme Clark cg at skyflyer.co.uk
Sat May 14 12:22:08 PDT 2016

Jerry

We had this problem and as well as the mast track you might want to take a look to make sure all the sheaves at the various turning points are running freely. Having said that I took a small piece of sponge and soaked it in silicone lubricant and then compressed it into the mast track. I attached a halyard to a spare slider below the sponge and another above it attached to the topping lift so you can use the two lines to run the sponge up and down the track without the need to climb the mast!  The precise arrangement I have forgotten but I’m sure you can come up with something that works and doesn't risk leaving a bit of sponge wedged halfway up the mast!

We also find that anything other than directly head to wind will greatly increase the force required to raise the sail.

Hope this helps

Graeme
#366, Jaskar
On 14 May 2016, at 20:05, Greg Flanagan <greg.flanagan at shaw.ca> wrote:

> I have used a silicone clear spray, that supposedly will not harm the sail if any gets on it. None-the-less I used it sparing and was careful not overspray. Works well.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Greg Flanagan
> Hoop Dancer #1076
> Sidney, BC
>
>> On May 14, 2016, at 11:23 AM, Jerry <jsheets at aol.com> wrote:
>>
>> My main does not move up and down the mast as easily as it once did or should. I am going to clean the slides to see if that helps. Anyone know of lubricants on the market that might help?
>>
>> Jerry Sheets
>> JellyRoll   # 890

I work irregular hours and often write emails late in the evening and at weekends; that doesn’t mean I expect you to do the same; reply when convenient!