[C320-list] Not-Holding-Tank Leak

Amiraults Family amiraults at sympatico.ca
Sun May 22 11:21:04 PDT 2016

All:

Late last season I was finding slightly beige, slightly off-odor liquid in
the bilge. Discolouration on the starboard bilge wall suggested that the
liquid was coming from the area of the holding tank. It had been a slack
summer (no overnights) and so the contents of the tank were urine heavily
denatured with river water contributed by the race crew - sure, we do
poorly; but there's always a cold beer at the end. In fact, the toilet was
used so infrequently that its only pump out was during fall layup.  I could
think of no other starboard source for liquid since I have never had water
in the aft water tank. This was an issue to address in the spring.

So, it's spring. Thinking it was either a hole in the tank or a failed/loose
out-flow fitting at the tank bottom, I placed paper towel around the fitting
and at the point where it was entering the bilge. I then added 15 gallons of
fresh water by pumping it thru the flush. Nada. The bilge remains dry. Can
anyone offer insight?

Regards;

Brian Amirault

797 Waltzing Bear, too