[C320-list] Hull #514

Graeme Clark cg at skyflyer.co.uk
Tue May 24 03:04:26 PDT 2016

If you DO decide to remove the port-light frames in entirety, a couple of points worth noting: not all the screws are the same length, so note which goes where. Its not that bad a job, you just need to go carefully and take your time. I was able to extract the ports without damage by using a putty knife to slowly work around the gap between frame and hull to free off the grip of the sealant. Over enthusiastic effort there, especially using a lever, will bend the frame.  The source of many of my leaks has been traced to tiny amounts of dirt on the perspex or the rubber seals. Finally I gave up buying new Lewmar port-light seals which are expensive (over here, anyway) and hard to fit, and instead use 8mm neoprene cord that is caulked into the corner of the frame. About $1 a time and replaced in ten minutes every couple of years.

Graeme
366, Jaskar
On 21 May 2016, at 22:13, Troy Dunn <troutwarrior at gmail.com> wrote:

> Warren and Pattie
>
> Not sure of anything.   Our surveyor noted some raised moisture level in
> the decking below the port light and reccomended rebedding as our number
> one priority before moving on to more cosmetic items.  We did all the
> reccomended items with all the opening ports, thorough cleaning, armour all
> on the seals, took apart the dogs, tried rejuvenating the orings, etc.   I
> think given the moisture situation, we have little choice but to pull the
> port.   Given the age of the ports if I have to pull it...it gets replaced.
>   I'd be surprised if a leaking o-ring on the dogs would steer moisture
> into the decking...seems like that would just end up running down the
> woodwork, or onto the setee in the cabin?
>
> Troy and Kim Dunn
> Hull #514, (still working on the name)
> Tidewater Marina, Havre De Grace, MD
>
> On Saturday, May 21, 2016, Warren Updike <wupdike at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Troy and Kim, welcome to the C320 club. FYI, all the messages on this list
>> are archived on a Google group, here:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/c320-list Be sure to search here for
>> information of your interest.
>> Are you sure your leak is from the gasket/frame? Common port leaks are
>> also from the lock handles. There are "O" rings in the handles that can be
>> replaced. Also, the screw can adjust the tension on the closure.
>> Many of us with the split-ring frame have found that where the gasket is
>> visible in the split from the outside can be a source of leak. It may not
>> be necessary to pull the port and replace the whole gasket, a job which I
>> hear is a real bear. I've pulled out the parts of the gasket in the ring
>> split, taped, and filled with black LifeCalk. The repair is water-tight,
>> looks good, and has held for more than 5 years.
>>
>> Warren and Pattie Updike
>> 1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62
>> Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

I work irregular hours and often write emails late in the evening and at weekends; that doesn’t mean I expect you to do the same; reply when convenient!