[C320-list] Not-Holding-Tank Leak

Amiraults Family amiraults at sympatico.ca
Tue May 24 07:02:44 PDT 2016

All:

Thank you for the many responses to my cry for help. I now have a lot more
to chew upon.

Irv - going sailing is probably a first thing to do (my first race is this
Thursday). With a near-full holding tank, boat motion on the heel may reveal
that it's water backing up one of the tank hoses causing a leak at a clamp.

Art - one of the few things it can't be is the aft water tank. It hasn't
been filled in 8 years but was confirmed by me to be empty on my first
winterization.

Mike, Larry and Warren - I had not considered the very reasonable
proposition that water was slowly intruding from some other location and
boat motion was allowing it to move about thru hidden accesses until coming
out where it did. This might also explain colouration, as I discovered when
cleaning the lower interior following a winter fuel tank leak a year ago
that there is assorted construction detritus lurking in the unseen areas of
the hull.

This past winter this list saved me the cost of a new bilge pump, mainly
thru the detailed photos and by-step instructions on how to disassemble and
service it. The pump sucked nothing in the fall but is back on the boat and
giving good service now. The member fee is NOT money wasted here. I hope a
portion of my fee makes a contribution to a successful summer association
gathering on the west coast. Attending one remains on my to-do list.

Regards;

Brian Amirault

797 Waltzing Bear, too

---