[C320-list] Perkins M30 Starter

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Sun May 29 18:33:00 PDT 2016

I've not seen any discussion re. servicing/replacing the solenoid/starter on
the Perkins M30. This seems strange as it is now 20 years or more that the
Perkins has been perk'n in the 320. Am I the first? Not likely.

Well, I had the occasion to ask the question. Saturday, we go out on our
maiden voyage of the season (OMG first outing nearly June!) for a nice sail.
As we approached our destination and prepare to drop sails, I started the
engine, or at least thought I was, only to be dumbfounded that it wouldn't
start, not even turn over. This has never happened. I whip out my trusty
multi-meter to find the damn thing doesn't work. So, it's nearly 5pm and I'm
stuck in the open with the anchor down. What to do? Why, of course call
TowBoatUS. It's not costing me anything so we go for it. Two hours later we
are in our slip with cocktails in hand. The next morning, I borrow a tester
and start investigation. Wanting to believe it's electrical and not
mechanical, I started behind the engine dashboard. Wow, some of those
connections were dirty. After cleaning those related to starting, I tried
the starter and, to my surprise, it started. So, out we go for another day
of sailing. The weather was fine, and the winds were cooperating. What's not
to like? My euphoria, however, was short-lived. On returning to port, I went
to start the engine and. no go. Oh, no, not again! What's up? Bottom line.
likely the starter. The solenoid clicks but the starter don't. Only way to
tell is to pull the bitch and have it serviced or replaced.  Not wanting to
embarrass myself by calling BoatUS twice in two days, we limped into port
and secured the assistance of boat buddies to help us into our slip.

Which brings me to my point. The starter is ensconced in a most inaccessible
place on the engine from the point of seeing the thing let alone finding
bolts to remove. Has anyone had the experience of removing the Perkins
generator? If so, have you any hints or tips to impart?

Remember, our joy in boat ownership and the freedoms that go with it are
ours at the cost of many lives given to secure these freedoms.

Happy Memorial Day.

Warren and Pattie Updike

1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62

Middle River, Chesapeake Bay