[C320-list] Generator Blowing Inverter Fuses

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Mon May 30 07:19:40 PDT 2016

Bruce,

Do you mean a Xantrex Freedom Inverter/Charger combo unit?

So, one thing to look at is the max output charge current to the batteries on the Charger Side.  It's probably more than 50a total, but since there are typically 2 outputs, the normal max would be split between each output, or if one battery is quite low and the other is charged, you'll get higher charge current on the leg with the dead battery.

Here's the catch.  If you blow one of the fuses, the charger now sees that it only has one output and can now supply up to the max rated current to the remaining leg.  That could blow the second one, especially if you have the batteries in the ALL position.  I've experienced this first-hand when I had two discharged AGM batteries, one was more discharged than the other and all I had was 30a slow blow fuses and my 60a shore power charger.  One battery was fed more than 50% of the current and blew one of the 30 amp fuses, then proceeded to switch over and start charging the other battery and could take all the current it wanted and promptly blew the second fuse.

The way around this is to buy fuses that are rated higher than the total charge output of the charger.  To get inline fuses with higher ratings and still have them fit the fuse holders, we use these:  http://amzn.com/B004AH8QLY   They are 60a fuses and fit the stock inline fuse holders.  You typically see these kinds of fuses used in high output car audio amplifier systems.

I haven't found anything higher than 60a fuses for this kind of holder.   So, the trick here is make sure you use fuses that are rated at or above the total output of the charger.

-Jeff Hare