[C320-list] 7" Hull Blister

Amiraults Family amiraults at sympatico.ca
Thu Nov 3 14:11:52 PDT 2016

Allan et al:

Firstly, thanks for the many quick responses. I made an error in using the
word "blister". I used it as it was so physically descriptive of what I was
seeing, but failing to consider that it is also a technical term. My guy
actually used the word "void" when he was sounding out the area, and it was
he who suggested that I poll the group.

The tenting of the hull in the spring sounds like a fine solution, but we're
not at a full service marina rather a sail club with limited facilities.

I can state that my guy does fine work, as in 2007 he was able to repair a
hole in the port stern quarter caused by a race collision when I was pierced
by another boat's bow roller. My guy made a much bigger hole than the other
boat did, but after going to Catalina to buy the appropriate gel coat for
Bear's year he made a repair so perfect you can't see it.

Doug, I got the boat from the US in 2007 and it was surveyed there before
being shipped north. It didn't mention a void in the hull, and I believe it
wasn't there. The hull is hand washed and waxed by me every year and this
fall was the first that I've noticed it. I really believe it's a new issue.

I will contact Catalina to see what they suggest to deal with the issue.

Again, thanks for the help and I will follow up. Regards;

Brian Amirault

797 Waltzing Bear, too

---