[C320-list] Do you have to remove rudder to remove prop-shaft?

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 7 13:22:24 PDT 2016

Someone once reported that if you remove the cutlass bearing first that the shaft can be removed without removing the rudder. Can anyone confirm this?
My stuffing box has about had it (leaks and wear on the bronze shaft after 22 years.) I'm starting to think about replacing the shaft, log hose, stuffing box, and add a flex-coupling. If anyone has done parts or all of this, I'd love to hear about it.

Warren and Pattie Updike
1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay