[C320-list] Do you have to remove rudder to remove prop-shaft?

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Sun Oct 9 06:01:12 PDT 2016

I was able to replace prop shafts on 2 C320's without removing the rudder.  You DO have to remove the cutlass bearing as Jon says, and should also remove the shaft log hose inside. That will give you enough play so that you can turn the rudder slightly and it will slide out. It will touch the rudder and you'll have to put a little muscle on it but it wasn't hard.  To give you an idea of the time, another 320 owner and I did both our boats in one short day.

Here's a suggestion:   https://www.deepblueyachtsupply.com/  has everything you need except GFO to replace a prop shaft.  The SS shaft, Cutlass bearing, Packing Box Hose, Quality Hose Clamps

1) Replace the cutlass bearing.  It's cheap and you'll have to pull it anyway.  It's held in place by 2 set screws on the starboard side.  The association has a nice cutlass bearing puller/installer tool specially for this.

2) Before you separate the engine-shaft coupler, mark the alignment so that you can match the same pairs of bolt holes. That's the best place to start aligning the shaft when reassembling.

3) Pull the original stuffing box, disassemble, and clean it with a wire brush.  Pull out all the old packing material, put in "GFO Packing" (http://gfopacking.com/ maybe to find where to buy it).  Coat the threads really well with TefGel anti-corrosion grease.

4) Replace the rubber Shaft Log hose (Packing box hose) and all 4 hose clamps.  Only use special packing box hose for this!  Write the DATE REPLACED on the Shaft Log Hose.  Just slice the old hose off and take it off.  It is not wire reinforced.

5) While you're in there, the short curved section of hose between the raw water intake and the raw water filter should also be replaced and DATED  This hose is notorious for failing with cracks because of the heat and the severe bend it has.  It really is only safe for a few years at a time.

Have fun!
-Jeff Hare