[C320-list] Butyl Rubber and chain plates

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 18 13:36:40 PDT 2016

I have been educated as to the use of butyl rubber for bedding from Compass Marine (http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/rebedding_hardware) and have used butyl rubber on a number of bedding projects.
Recently, I had to address an inside leak from the center chain plate. I've wondered how I would go about using butyl rubber on chain plates.
Once I detached the shrouds and removed the deck plate, I found that the Polysulfide bedding in the deck was in good shape; but, the seal of the deck plate had failed and water was making its way down the bolts. Rather than removing the bedding, I cleaned up the deck, chamfered bolt holes, and bolts. Following info from the above link, I prepared the deck plate and bolts with butyl rubber and reassembled the chain plate. (Hold the bolts from turning when reassembling.) We since have had a rather heavy rain and no more leaking.
As for the bedding itself, I can see no practical way of replacing the bedding with butyl rubber, as whatever you use has to flow to conform to the space. With a proper seal on the deck plate, I see no way for water to get into the bedding in the first place.
If anyone has experience with this or would like to comment, bring it on.

Warren and Pattie Updike
1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay