[C320-list] Clew Tension with Reef in Mainsail

David Cushman ittips99 at comcast.net
Sun Sep 18 06:57:31 PDT 2016

My reefing system for the main is rigged exactly as drawn in my owner's
manual with the lead clew reefing line passing through a grommet hole in
the mainsail and being tied around the boom. When reefed, there does not
seem to be enough outhaul tension(too much draft in the reefed main) and
the direction of the resulting outhaul should be pulling further aft. I
noticed at the rendezvous that some owners have an additional eye
beneath the boom at the aft end. Are there any suggestions as to how to
get more outhaul tension when reefing the main by relocating the lead
clew reef line position? Or any other suggestions adding different boom
hardware or without having to add any hardware to the boom?

Dave Cushman

It Tips