[C320-list] Clew Tension with Reef in Mainsail

Guy Smith smitski2001 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 19 09:43:01 PDT 2016

I had this problem also: I couldn't pull hard enough on the outhaul to flatten the Main. (Additionally, tensioning the luff correctly was also a problem.) With a 3:1 Outhaul system in the boom, there shouldn't have been a problem.
After some thought and inspection and discussion with my Sailmaker  (Chuck at Chesapeake Sailmakers), we determined that the problem was a combination of the bolt rope in the Foot and Luff of the sail shrinking and the Dacron middle of the Main stretching over time. The Outhaul was pulling against the bolt rope, as was the Main Halyard on the Luff.
My Main is the original 1997 full battened and was in generally good shape. I discussed modifications with Chuck and I had him cut the bolt rope off the Foot to make the Main loose-footed taking the Foot bolt rope out of the equation. Chuck left both of the Dutchman flaking pockets on a short piece of bolt rope so I could slide the pockets on the boom to still use the Dutchman flaking. In addition, Chuck cut the Luff bolt rope which eased the Luff about 4 inches and then adjusted the length of the Luff sail material at the head plate about the same length so that I could get the proper stretch on the Luff.
With these two changes, my Main can be shaped quite nicely! I also had Chuck put in a second Reef, just in case, but have not needed it so far on the Chesapeake.
I don't remember the cost for this work but it wasn't more than a couple hundred. Better than coming up with the cash for a new Main!
I do have to use a winch to pull on the Mainsheet to get enough tension on the Boom to get great shape in the Leach. On other boats I've sailed/raced with, the Mainsheet blocks were sufficient for the trimmer to tension the sheet by hand. With the Mainsheet Jam cleat on cabin, It's really hard to get enough tension and get the sheet into the cleat. I've been thinking about how I could add some blocks into the system so that the Mainsheet could be tended by hand.
Hope this helps!
Fair Winds to All!~g
Guy and Liz Smithsv Pleiades '97 C320 #452Worton Creek, MD

"It is remarkable how quickly a good and favorable wind  can sweep away the maddening frustrations of shore living."                                    - Ernest K. Gann