[C320-list] GFO Packing

John Jacobs johjacob1 at mac.com
Sat Apr 1 10:59:47 PDT 2017

I just cleaned out the old Flax Packing from the stuffing box.  There were a total of 4 complete ringlets of packing inside.  I had purchased GFO packing,  1/4” as per owners manual.  I cut 4 strands to size and installed them with the appropriate degree of rotation for each one so that the seams would not overlap.  All of this was a piece of cake.
My concern however is that I was only able to turn the stuffing box nut five turns onto the threaded portion of the Locking nut shaft.
Anyone have the same experience?  Not sure if this is right?  Is this too much packing?  Should I take a ring out?

John Jacobs
“Surprise” 1999