[C320-list] Keel rust

Troy Dunn troutwarrior at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 20:41:47 PDT 2017

When we were boat shopping we spent a bit of time reading up on the
Catalina smile but I thought we convinced ourselves that this wasn't a
problem on the 320.  Your rust stains are exactly where the smile is on
other Catalinas which suggests to me that the keel is in fact separating
from the hull or water is somehow penetrating the fairing into the keel
structure.   The rust would potentially be coming from either the plates or
the bolts at the keel interface.  Not an expert at all.  Just sharing what
I've read elsewhere.   Google Catalina Smile.     I would highly reccomend
you get a marine surveyor familiar with the 320 to look at your keel.   The
fracture pattern in the fairing compound suggests either a hard grounding,
or maybe just a stress fracture from loose keel bolts and the weight of the
keel.   Good luck,  let us know what you find out.

Troy Dunn #514