[C320-list] Speed paddle

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 28 13:57:08 PDT 2017

See Scott Thompson's post later today. I don't follow the details; but, he doesn't sound confused to me so I'm disposed to defer to him on the matter. He lost me in the difference between true wind, apparent wind, ground wind, and breaking wind. Actually, I found support on the internet from a Raymarine post that Scott knows of what he speaks.

The situation may be different for different boats depending on the instruments used. My comments were meant for an older 320 with ST50 instruments and "Sea Talk" networking, and an ST50 wind instrument. In this case, the paddle wheel provides STW to the wind instrument for the purpose of calculating the true wind. If the speed transducer is not working or not in use, there will be no STW signal and no true wind available. The device I referenced, the Cruz Pro SOG1, is a Speed Pulse Converter that takes a NMEA 0183 SOG input, and converts it to an analog paddlewheel signal that is fed to the wind instrument. Last time I checked, Downwind Marine is carrying the SOG1: http://www.downwindmarine.com/CruzPro-Speed-Pulse-Converter-p-91000223.html

Newer GPS and Chartplotter devices, with the necessary inputs, will calculate wind, set, and drift components, and more, in an accurate manner. But for old farts like me, who were happy with paper charts and a compass, and are now ecstatic to have an accurate Lat/Lon from a real GPS, don't feel the need for the fancy stuff. We have traversed the length of the Chesapeake Bay from Delaware to North Carolina using only our base map GPS and paper charts. Truth be told, we are now using e-charts on a tablet for navigation; and, we still have our paper chart books on board.

Warren and Pattie Updike
1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay