[C320-list] Intermitant starter motor issue Yanmar 3GM30F

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 15 07:51:58 PDT 2017

In US, there are shops that specialize in servicing starters, alternators, and other parts. For starters, they can replace brushes, clean and recondition the armature, and generally clean out the years of accumulated dust and stuff. Such a shop should not do this work unless the starter is otherwise in working condition. In my case, they also replaced the solenoid which surprised me.

After this service is when I began to experience the intermittent start issue. When pressing the start button... no start. The volt meter needle moves down as one would expect. I had 10V at the solenoid when starting so that was ok. So far, I've replaced the start button, and cleaned connections in the circuit.

In my case, the resolution is to immediately press the starter button again, and repeat 2-3 times and it usually starts. If the problem is in the starter, like a dead spot, I would expect that my approach would not work in which case I hear a light tap on solenoid or starter will work. But, like others, the situation leaves me uncomfortable for solo cruising. Than the Big Man for BoatUS Towing Service.

I am totally surprised to see how common is this problem, and yet, no one has pointed to a clear resolution. Thanks for chiming in.

Warren and Pattie Updike
1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay