[C320-list] Alternatives to a tilting bow anchor roller

Bob Hoyt rehoyt at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 14:36:40 PDT 2017

When I became the new owner of my Catalina 320 I noted that the ground
tackle had huge double shackles connecting the anchor to chain and chain to
rode, making retrieval through the roller difficult at best.  I replaced
those with an anchor swivel and a rode to chain splice. Now I can use the
windlass to retrieve the Bruce anchor #33 up to as far as the end of the
bow roller. It still takes brute force to pull the shank up onto the bow
roller. The bow anchor roller measures 3 x 18 inches (Windline Marine).

>From what I can tell, it would be extremely difficult to remove the roller
and replace it with a tilting model due to it being bolted forward of the
anchor compartment. Does anyone have tips how to get the anchor onto the
roller with less effort? I did not tilt the bail forward and perhaps I
should have. Thanks

Bob Hoyt
Liza Hull #58 1994
Pensacola, FL