[C320-list] Cruising Code Zero (Drifter) Questions

Richard Smith richsmi01 at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 11 13:14:45 PST 2017

Hi All -

I'm thinking about adding a cruising code zero to my 320 to help out on those low wind days that we get all too much of on Lake Ontario.  Although my wife and I have sailed our 320 for many years, we've never used any sails other than our 135 genoa and in-mast main so I'm afraid that I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to sails like this and I have a bunch of questions.

1.      Do they really work to move the boat in 3-8 knots of wind?

2.      Can you really sail on a close reach in light wind with one of these sails?

3.      What should the luff, foot and leech dimensions be for a 'drifter'/code zero for our 320's?  (I have a chance to buy a drifter for a Catalina 34 which the fellow tells me will work but I'm not sure if it will or not)

4.      Should we opt for the fancy continuous furling?  If so, how will that affect the dimensions of the sail?

5.      Where would I lead the sheets?  Straight to the winch?  Further back?  Maybe a block on the aft cleats?

6.      I notice that most people fly these from bow sprits which we don't have but I suspect that our stock bow roller will suffice.  Thoughts?  Advice?

7.      I was wondering about attaching the sail BEHIND the genoa as well.  This would allow us to tack and gybe without furling on light days (although we couldn't use the genoa)  Does this sound feasible?

8.      Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?

9.      Do you have any other advice?

Thanks folks!  Any insights would be much appreciated!
Cheers,
Rich.