[C320-list] Whisker Pole selection

Allan S. Field allan.field at verizon.net
Sat Feb 18 15:11:22 PST 2017

   We also had a mast-track-mounted Forespar 0-18 for poling out a 150
   when going DDW.  I never thought of using it for the A-Sym but now that
   I think about it, never would have.  The A-Sym is only good to about 12
   knots apparent and if the wind suddenly exceeds that, like going to 20,
   I wanted to be able to let the thing fly very quickly before either
   going over on the side or broaching.  In fact, when flying the A-Sym, I
   did 2 wraps around the winch but never let go of it so that I could
   dump it quickly which I had to do a few times.  It's a fun sail to use
   but needs to be used with caution.  And I fully concur with Jeff's
   recommendation regarding the internal trip line; wish I had that with
   our boat.
   Allan S. Field
   Sea Shadow - C387, #103
   Columbia, MD