[C320-list] Refinishing companionway steps

jim brown jbrown5093 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 26 14:00:02 PST 2017

Scott,

I've refinished the companion way steps once, all the interior hand holds (I think sun tan lotion softens the factory finish and they got sticky?). and the molding around the galley, and the drop boards twice on our 2004 #973.  The most important information, in my opinion, is to know that I think Catalina used a transparent toner in their finish to blend the different pieces of wood and grain into a nice uniform finish. Most furniture companies to the same thing. If you sand through this finish in some places and not in others (which you will do if you have any deep scratches) when you prep the steps the initial coat of varnish will leave ugly patchy light and dark areas that look like some sort of skin disease (the light ones will be where you didn't remove the toner).. It will be very noticeable with the first coat of varnish when it dries and is easily remedied by sanding to the bare wood and starting over. You can see it if you wet the area with solvent but it is not as noticeable as when you apply a finish. If you don't have any deep scratches or areas where the finish has worn through then a very very light scuff might come out just fine.

After years of using marine varnishes on multiple projects (couple of wood kayaks, etc.) I have been using MinWax Spar Urethane varnish. I can see no difference in longevity or finish (especially with a satin or semi=gloss finish). It is also a lot cheaper. UV protection seems to be quite good on the drop boards (3 years or so) but on the steps and interior it really doesn't matter a whole lot. The other advantage of the MinWax is that all the finishes are available in spray cans. So you can brush on a couple of coats from a pint can waiting the 4 hours between coats for durability and then 5 or 6 coats of the final finish from the spray can(s). With the spray you can re-coat in an hour so you can get finished the same day. I have tried both the satin spray and the semi-gloss spray and the semi-gloss is by far the closest to the interior finish on our boat. Did the steps I think 3 or 4 years and they still look good. Once that toner is removed a re do is simple. Light sand and spray away.
Hope this helps.

Jim Brown
Desafinado 973