[C320-list] Sailing on windy days

Doug Treff doug at treff.us
Fri Jul 7 08:08:27 PDT 2017

Chris,

Since you brought it up, what types of sail trim adjustments are you
making to reduce weather helm? I often reef the main well before the
17-21 knots you mentioned but there may be other things I'm missing.
Mainly I  do this because of the tendency for the boat to round up
uncontrollably. If there was a better way of controlling wethaer helm,
I'd love to play with the settings first.

It's hard to tell a lot from the pictures other than the fact that
you're not reefed, and not bashing into the wind.  It looks like the
traveler is down a bit and the jib cars look to be pretty far forward,
giving the jib some twist. What was your course in relation to the wind
here? Looks like just forward of a beam reach.

What size jib/genoa are you flying?
Do you have a backstay adjuster?
Outhaul tension, tight I assume?
Barberhauler / halyard tension?