[C320-list] Alternator wire and ProMariner

tharrison at innovations-plus.com tharrison at innovations-plus.com
Sun Jul 9 06:33:57 PDT 2017

I am still working on my battery electrical repair.

Background:

Alternator is a Hitache 12v 55 A

Charger is a ProMariner 1230P (5 year old, installed by when I purchased the
boat)

New batteries installed and wired per Allan's wiring diagram on his new
beauty. Went to charge up the batteries and my ProMariner showed a DC volts
high. As per the manual indicates a high voltage from an outside source such
as a failed alternator / regular. So I mapped out the wires.

One connection on Alternator ( this is a screw/ nut connection)

Black wire to ground on engine

Grey wire with 2 orange bars goes to a connector, leads to a two prong
connector, which leads to a ground on the engine

The two prong connector is not connected to anything. One wire is connected
to the ground on the engine and the other wire, white with red strip, and 2
brown bars is not connected to anything.

Second connection is a plug at the bottom of the alternator.

Blue wire with black stripe and 2 red bars, leads to the same two prong
connector.

Red with 2 blue bars goes to a connector strip, which leads to the Wheel pod
which leads to the Alt gauge at the pod.

Third connection (is a screw /nut connection)

Red wire goes solenoid, on top of a 1/0 red wire that goes to the electrical
panel, both.

I reset the charger to factory settings, changed battery type to flooded and
tried again to charge the batteries with no luck.

Battery charger does not charge the batteries. I have a car charger Genius
G7200.  I am charging my new 4D's and the first battery house battery now
reads 13.2 volts and not 100 percent charged.

Questions:

What would have been the purpose of the two prong connector?

Could my ProMariner charger be broken in need of repair? Will I just need to
purchase a new charger?

Can the internal regulator in the Alternator be broken. I pulled the
Alternator and had it tested the it came back as ok.

Ted Harrison

Hull 424 Whitby Ontario