[C320-list] Water heater element

Doug Treff doug at treff.us
Mon Jul 10 08:44:49 PDT 2017

All,

My water heater trips the circuit breaker instantly when I try to turn it on. Pretty sure I have a badly corroded or blown element. So I ordered and received a new element from Catalina Direct. This past weekend, I attempted to replace the element using a pair of channel locks but could not budge the element. Afraid I would damage the water heater or skin my knucles, I aborted the repair job.
I'm assuming that the correct tool that I should be using  is a heater element socket. But the question I have is whether I should be using some PB Blaster on the element - concerned about contaminating the water.
Any thoughts on that? Obviously I would try without the solvent first, just wondering about the wisdom of using it on a plumbing connection.
And if any of you have done this job and have some wisdom to offer, I'm all ears!
--
Doug Treff
September Song #350
doug at treff.us