[C320-list] Speed paddle transducer & NMEA 2000

Doug Treff doug at treff.us
Fri Jul 21 05:47:25 PDT 2017

Mark,

As I posted a minute ago, I do have an old SeaTalk paddle-wheel Xducer
for sale, and we can talk offline about it. I also still have the speed
display if you need it.

The old Seatalk Xducer is not NMEA2000 compatible. New NMEA2000 Xducers
likely will not be compatible with your old Seatalk display.

I just completed an entire refit of my electronics. Best upgrade I have
made to my boat thus far. Having everything talking over NMEA2000 is
fantastic. Now my Autopilot can steer to the wind, to a waypoint, and to
a magnetic heading. I can display speed and depth on a separate display
or on the MFD touch screen. I now have AIS information overlaid on the
MFD. I can also control my new Fusion stereo from the Garmin MFD because
they are both on the NMEA2000 network. I installed 3 different brands of
device on the network (Raymarine with adaptor cables I made myself) and
all works great!

I think you'll be much happier in the long run if you can pony up the
funds for all new gear. Once I started looking at the wiring in my
pedestal guard tube, I decided that I only wanted to do the job once, so
I wouldn't have to deal with that wiring a second or third time.

I will caution you, though, that this job is something you should take
time to plan and research. Go to the boat show and talk to vendors. Do
planning now, and do the work in the off-season - so you don't waste
valuable sailing time. You can replace that Xducer now with a used one
and keep sailing.

My $0.02

--
Doug Treff