[C320-list] Looking for C320 MK II Winter Cover or Advice

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 25 13:53:16 PDT 2017

If your location is prone to accumulations of snow and you can afford a Top Gun cover go for it. Or, call me the "frugal mariner" and hear my tale.

About 11 years ago we made a full cover of heavy duty plastic tarp over a PVC frame behind the mast and over the boom. We added some furring strip slats horizontally to prevent sagging between the verticals of which there are 5 on each side. I wire tie the PVC to the boom and line wrap at the end. The boom rests on the PVC against the toe rail without any vertical support from the mast. Over the bow was another PVC from the front side of the mast at boom level to the fore-peak with another piece of tarp over the bow.

As time went on we made some mods: cover only from mast aft, with tarp closing the ends in front of the mast and behind the boom; and, a separate small cover over the fwd hatch. Total cost, maybe $150. Last year was our 7th with this cover and we will replace it in the Fall.

Yes, it's not terribly ship-shape, takes about 3 hours to rig (on the hard,) and has never been blown off. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Seems Maryland Winters are a bit milder these past few years.

Warren and Pattie Updike
1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay