[C320-list] Battery switch

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Fri Jun 9 06:30:04 PDT 2017

I'd suggest that it matters how you use your boat whether AGMs are right for
you.

AGMs can recharge significantly faster if the charge current is available.
They also hold their charge extremely well when unused over a long period of
time and cannot freeze.  This is really helpful if you store your boat for
extended periods of time like over the winter. Charge in the fall, the
batteries will still be fully charged in the spring.  They also are 100%
zero maintenance, no water, no mess.

We replaced our flooded batteries with AGMs back in spring 2008.  We expect
to do fine with them this season still.  We have our pair of 4D AGMs
directly connected in parallel to act as a single large battery. This gives
you more usable power and longer battery life because the current draw from
each is 1/2 what it would be if you used each one individually.

Our original flooded batteries lasted 5 years before they were significantly
weak and didn't last long.  They also took a lot longer to recharge.

Something to keep in mind is that if you have 300-400 amp hours total
capacity between a pair of 4D batteries, that leaves you with 50% of that as
usable power at most.  If you have a 20ah charger you're looking at a
minimum of 10hours to put that charge back. The stock alternator is
typically a 55a internally regulated and will quickly drop down to under 10a
charge current as the alternator heats up. That means that you'll motor for
a day to recharge them.

In our case, we have a 60a shore power charger and a 125a externally
regulated alternator.  Because the pair of batteries will accept over 100a
of charge current, we can have our batteries recharged in just a couple
hours on engine or a little over twice that time on shore power.

But how and where you use your boat and budget could be a factor in this
decision also.

Cheers!
-Jeff Hare

PS: I'm openly biased towards AGMs because we haul out for the winter and I
don't like having to drag a generator or hook up solar panels to keep
batteries charged and not frozen over the winter.