[C320-list] Water Heater Output Tubing

Dean Vermeire dean at vermeire.us
Mon Jun 12 10:27:01 PDT 2017

All,

The tubing connected to the output of the water heater on Moonstruck II
(2001, #847) has sprung a leak.  This seems to be pretty easy to fix, but I
have my doubts that it was the right type of tubing there to begin with.

There is a brass elbow screwed into the ½” NPT output port on the Seaward
water heater.  The outward end of the elbow has barbs for a ¾” ID tube/hose.
At the other end of this 8” hose, is a similar brass elbow, to which the red
tubing connects with a plastic fitting.  The 8” hose is a black and green ¾”
ID thick hose that is of a rubber material with a wound reinforcement wire.
The problem is that I am not finding a similar hose material with a
description that leads me to believe it should be used on the output of the
water heater.

Is this what y’all see on your water heaters?

It seems like I would want to replace the elbow that is screwed into the
water heater with one that gives me a connection for a standard reinforced
supply line.

What am I missing here?

Thanks,

Dean Vermeire