[C320-list] Battery switch location - port vs. starboard, old vs. new models

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 14 08:17:23 PDT 2017

Doug, whether your plan is worth the cost and effort depends on how you use your boat or how you see using it in the future. If you will be doing more than week-end cruising, you will definitely want more battery capacity and faster charging. Not all the changes have to be made at once. Perhaps, you can do the things you want to be in-place, like panels, and complete your plan at some later date.
You may be able to get the later-model panels you want from Dennis Igarashi, digarashi at earthlink.net, 626-374-6422, as he was supplying them to Catalina.
We did nos. 1,3,4,5 and it made a significant difference. We could anchor for 2 nights without charging, and charging on the hook is much faster. A battery monitor is a must as is battery temp sensors for both shore charger and alternator charging.
We also replaced the 1,2,off,both switch with a BlueSea Systems "e" series dual switch. This switch keeps the start circuit and house circuit separate; but, turns them On/Off at the same time. No issue with which, 1 or 2, to use. However, there are differing opinions as to the best switching option to use.

Warren and Pattie Updike
1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay