[C320-list] Seward 2 Burner Stove Not Lighting

Ade Bateman ade.bateman at outlook.com
Wed Jun 14 19:03:06 PDT 2017

> On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 04:32:15, Graeme Clark wrote:
> We have a boat safety scheme with which boats must comply in order to use
> inland water (rivers, canals and lakes etc) but oddly not for saltwater
> vessels!
> Nevertheless many (sea) owners have their boats inspected and maintained to
> thus standard anyway I had a gas system inspection last year and the gas
> engineer said that to comply with the standard we should only have flexible
> hose at the connection points , i.e. The bottle and the cooker and everything
> in between should be copper piping BUT the standard also specifies that if
> metal tube is used it has to be supported (clipped) every X inches (I can't
> remember the exact distance but about 10 or 12 inches I think) So we looked
> at the installation in the C320 and came to the conclusion that this would be
> impossible without major dismantling including removal of the fridge!
> As compliance wasn't mandatory and the pressure test in the existing system
> was good, the gas engineer agreed it was best to let sleeping dogs lie!
> I'd be very interested to know if anyone has managed to change to metal
> tubing and if so how they managed it Graeme Britain, #366. 1996

This is an interesting difference. When I bought my C320, the propane hose
was extended using by a coupler inside the port locker. The survey on the boat
indicated that this needed to be replaced and that no coupling should exist
outside the propane locker. The ABYC requirement was that I replace the hose
with one continuous piece from propane locker to stove with no other
connections (and this was picked up by the insurance company as a required
improvement). The idea is that having any type of coupling is a leak waiting
to happen.

The notion that you should have a portion of the run be copper pipe but not
all of it implies couplings outside the propane locker. It seems like a
strange recommendation.

Ade.