[C320-list] Bilge Pump Makers? Comments? Experiences?

Graeme Clark cg at skyflyer.co.uk
Fri Jun 30 14:19:30 PDT 2017

Warren

It was some time ago, but i think the point I made was that when my bilge pump was located below the port settee, a hose sprang a leak where it joined the pump  and it sprayed (essentially salty) water all over the various electrics located there. I thus fitted a new (Rule) pump in the bilge, but  also installed a check valve to prevent back flow as there is sufficient water contained in the length of bilge outlet hose to refill the bilge high enough to trigger the float switch, thus giving endless recycling of the pump!
A benefit of the bilge mounted pump is it is (in my opinion) easier to access, and you can quickly unclip the pump body from the screwed down strum-box base to clear out any debris that has got through the slots. Cleaning out the jabsco is a nightmare job, with same issue of spilling water near electric.

Graeme

> On 30 Jun 2017, at 21:58, Warren Updike <wupdike at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have a Rule pump. Don't know the capacity. I replaced the pump 13 years ago when we bought it, and again this year as it didn't come through Winter well. Not bad for a period over which we ran nearly 2000 hours.
>
> Don’t think I saw Graeme's message on location; but, this I can tell you. The early hulls (shallow bilge) had the pump in the bilge. Later models (deep bilge) installed the pump outside the bilge (maybe not all,) where I don't know. If installed outside of the bilge, there has to be a hose to it and the pump has to allocate energy to pull the water to it. The height of the pump above the bilge is added to the height of the output thru-hull to get the total vertical rise or head. The greater the head, the slower will be the flow.
>
> Warren and Pattie Updike
> 1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62
> Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

I work irregular hours and often write emails late in the evening and at weekends; that doesn’t mean I expect you to do the same; reply when convenient!