[C320-list] Alternator to batteries

John Meyers jcmeyers7 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 17:14:08 PDT 2017

Thank you for that important education.

 I am still not an electrician but now I know more.

John Meyers

On Mar 25, 2017 8:01 PM, "Stephen Cox" <scox at timmin.com> wrote:

> I am no electrician so I don't know if this will work. I
> assume that there are wires from the alternator directly to
> the battery(?) If so can the positive wire (maybe the
> negative wire too) be CAREFULLY disconnected from the battery
> after the engine is running and have a volt meter test the
> output on those disconnected wire?

DO NOT DISCONNECT THE WIRES WHILE ENGINE IS RUNNING!!!!

First off you don't need to disconnect the wires to measure the voltage on
them.

Secondly, if you run the alternator without a load it is equivalent to
switching the 0-1-2 switch through the 0 position when running and will most
likely fry the alternator diodes.

Stephen Cox
Tegwen #1141