[C320-list] (no subject)

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Mon Mar 27 20:17:45 PDT 2017

John,
If you have a shaft log hose, given the age of your hull, you may want to
also replace that shaft log hose with a robust hose at the same time you are
replacing the cutlass bearing. If you have a shaft log hose it would be
helpful to have the cutlass bearing out of the strut in the event you need
to completely remove the shaft and if the old coupler cannot be reused. The
reason I am sharing this tip with you is because you could, if necessary,
completely remove the shaft in the event and the shaft and a new coupler may
need to be machined to re-matched a new coupler to the shaft for a tight
interference fit.

Fortunately for me, I was able to reuse the shaft coupler when I removed the
shaft log hose but I was kicking myself because I did not replace the shaft
log hose two years earlier when I had the cutlass bearing removed from the
strut. I was lucky because we do not harbor in saltwater and  freshwater
corrosion is minimal with adequate rust and metal remaining on the coupler
after I pressed out/removed the SS shaft with the shaft coupler/flange
removal tool I purchased from the internet vendor that sold me a shaft log
hose.  Therefore, if needed, you could might consider requesting the
association coupler removal tool if you need to replace your shaft log hose
because you will need to remove the coupler to install a new shaft log hose
or  replace the shaft log.

It was a challenge for me to get the shaft back into the old coupler because
the hull had relaxed in the cradle and shaft was tighter going back into the
couple because the shaft was not clearly aligned thru the coupler when the
coupler was  reattached to the transmission flange because I was working
alone. The issue developed due in part to the replaced cutlass bearing which
contributed to a challenge getting the shaft back into the coupler with the
shaft key properly in place after installing the new and stiffer shaft log
hose. The new hose was less flexible than the softer and cracking older OEM
shaft log hose. The last unexpected additional challenge involved finally
discovering that it was necessary to reset the shaft key into the coupler
from the transmission side of the shaft coupler to ensure a tighter shaft to
coupler fit. It would have been easier if I had replaced the shaft log hose
when the cutlass bearing was removed from the strut. That way I should have
reinstalled the coupler on the shaft with the key in place BEFORE I had
installed the new cutlass bearing into the strut.  Additionally I learned
that it is wise to install a new, very secure,  magnesium shaft anode (for
freshwater)  just an inch and a half or so (not greater than the distance
between the shaft coupler and the shaft log) so the anode is far enough
ahead of the cutlass strut in the event the shaft departed from the coupler
so the minimum amount of shaft is still left in the shaft log if the shaft
ever backed out of the coupler.

The association tool loaner program saved me hundreds of dollars  when
replacing the cutlass bearing, while I was not aware at that time of  an
association shaft coupler removal tool.
Rick
My-Ria 95' hull #277