[C320-list] 4D Battery replacement

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 29 12:48:41 PDT 2017

Bruce, I've found a way to minimize back stress when changing 4D batts. I use a block and tackle from the boom to bring them aboard from dock or hard. Once up, I'm able to swing the boom center and push the tackle fwd along the boom until over the companion. Then lower onto the sole with a towel under. (May need to remove the ladder.) Once on the sole, drag the towel to the settee. Now, with the help of a buddy, I place one hand on the settee and the other on the battery handle. By transferring the weight through my shoulders to the other hand, I avoid the stress on lower back. With two people lifting, the weight nearly conforms to OSHA requirements. (:>)

Re. a question asked on this thread, 4D refers to case size and has nothing to do with the construction or capacity of the battery itself. That is, all 4D batteries should measure nearly the same dimensions. As for capacity, one must consult the mfgr's specs. Most 4D batteries are classed as "combination" batteries as they are used mostly on big trucks. They are suitable for starting and continuous loads; but, are not strictly in the class of "deep cycle," as are many of the GC class golf cart batteries.  This is one reason why you don't normally see the 20hour specification of capacity expressed in total amperage on 4Ds. Interstate makes two 4Ds. One is called SRM-4D. This battery has heavier plates than the other. You can tell by the total weight of each. Heavier plates give more amperage and more charge cycles. I can't speak to other mfgrs.

As for golf cart vs 4D, there are always trade-offs. Using 4 GC vs 2 4Ds means double the connections. Each connection is a potential for increased resistance and corrosion. Connections of cables at the battery must be kept clean and protected with an appropriate electrical grease.

IMHO,
Warren and Pattie Updike
1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay